My favourite turkey pot pie recipe is made simply and fully from scratch with seasonal veggies and flavors. It’s the right means to make use of up the final of your Thanksgiving turkey leftovers!
Leftover Turkey Pot Pie
What do you normally do along with your Thanksgiving turkey leftovers? Do you decide at them chilly from the fridge? Do you slap them on bread and have dry turkey sandwiches? Or do you revive them by making one thing completely new, scrumptious, and comfy, like a turkey pot pie?
I’m hoping you’ll think about the latter this 12 months. Right here’s why this must be in your weekend-after Thanksgiving menu:
What’s to Love about this Turkey Pot Pie:
- Incorporates a combo of contemporary & frozen veggies.
- Has unparalleled depth of taste. Because of candy potatoes, smoked paprika, and contemporary rosemary (or dried, if it’s all you may have) this tastes each appropriately seasonal and extremely flavorful. There’s not a bland chunk to be discovered.
- Contains my favourite pie dough recipe for the topping. It comes collectively simply and rapidly and has nice taste, however in a pinch you may swap store-bought pie crust.
- Versatile. Simple to swap elements for what you may have readily available! Swap the corn for mushrooms, use all russet potatoes for those who used up all your candy on candy potato casserole, and many others.
- And, maybe the primary motive, it’s a nice recipe for utilizing leftover turkey! Turkey pot pie pays homage to Thanksgiving dinner with out feeling such as you’re consuming the identical meal twice (searching for one other leftover possibility? Take a look at my turkey chili!)
My recipe is totally from scratch. It begins with a easy sauce made with near-caramelized onions for heaps of taste, then we’ll add within the veggies and meat, lay the crust on prime, and bake! It’s so easy, and that’s precisely what all of us want after prepping an enormous Thanksgiving dinner.
What You Want
Whereas this recipe might look fancy, it’s truly critically simple to make with contemporary, seasonal elements. Right here’s what you might want to make it.
- Pie dough. When you can use a store-bought pie crust for those who’re actually pressed for time, I actually, actually advocate that you simply attempt to make your crust from scratch–it makes such a distinction in style. My pie crust recipe works completely right here; it’s no-fail, makes use of solely 5 elements, and takes about quarter-hour to prep. It’s my go-to recipe for a superbly mild, flaky, golden crust, each time! Generally I’ll make an additional crust after I’m prepping my Thanksgiving pies and tuck it away in my fridge to make use of for this recipe after Thanksgiving.
- Candy potatoes & potatoes. The candy potatoes are a pleasant change-up from conventional rooster pot-pie and provides a pleasant, subtly candy, distinctly fall taste. After all you might simply swap them for extra common potatoes, as a substitute for those who choose, however give the recipe a do that means a minimum of as soon as! As for the opposite potatoes, I normally use peeled russet however gold potatoes would work nice as a substitute!
- Extra veggies. We’ll use frozen veggies like corn and inexperienced beans (be happy to substitute contemporary for both) in addition to carrots and onions.
- Turkey. You’ll want 3 cups of cooked turkey. You should utilize both mild or darkish meat (or a mix, my choice), and you have to to chop/shred it earlier than including it to the filling.
- Hen broth. Hen broth or rooster inventory will work right here, or if in case you have some turkey inventory, be happy to make use of that as a substitute!
- Smoked paprika. This may appear a bit surprising, nevertheless it provides a beautiful depth of taste to this recipe. I additionally use smoked paprika in my rooster and rice soup, which provides it its distinctive and so good taste.
SAM’S TIP: In case you don’t have contemporary rosemary, you need to use a ½ teaspoon of dried rosemary as a substitute.
That is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
Tips on how to Make Turkey Pot Pie
- Soften the butter, then add the onions and cook dinner till softened.
- Whisk within the flour, spices, and salt till clean, then let this combination cook dinner for about 30 seconds or so. This can assist frivolously toast the flour and develop the flavour of the pot pie much more.
- Progressively stir within the rooster broth till included.
- Add within the cream and stir to mix.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and produce to boil, stirring regularly. Prepare dinner til the veggies are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add within the remaining veggies and the shredded turkey, then scale back the warmth to low. Stir till all the pieces is properly mixed, then take away from the warmth.
- Roll your ready pie dough right into a 12″ circle, then fastidiously lay it excessive of your pan. Press the crust up towards the within of the pan (it shouldn’t drape over the sides, it’ll simply soften and fall off if it does!), then lower a couple of slits to vent the crust.
- Brush the crust with egg wash, then bake till golden brown. As a result of my skillet is normally fairly full, I’ll usually place a foil-lined baking sheet beneath it, simply in case there are any spills!
SAM’S TIP: Be at liberty to vary up the veggies for those who like. Peas, celery, leeks, mushrooms, turnips, and parsnips are all nice choices right here too!
Steadily Requested Questions
There’s no backside crust for this pot pie, and that was an intentional alternative. It makes the recipe even simpler so as to bake the pie in the identical forged iron pan that you simply used to organize the filling. It additionally ends in the right ratio of crust to filling.
In case you’d like to make use of a backside crust, you have to to switch the filling to a ready crust (you might even need to blind bake it first).
Certain! Be at liberty to substitute an equal quantity of shredded rooster (rotisserie rooster works properly!) for the turkey, no different modifications wanted.
Absolutely! 8-oz ramekins work properly for this, divide the filling into them and lower out particular person circles of pie crust. Don’t overlook to brush them with egg and vent them, and regulate them as they gained’t take as lengthy within the oven as their bigger counterpart!
I don’t find out about you, however I’ve some leftover turkey calling my identify proper now 😉
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! Subscribe to my publication to be notified of all the latest recipes and comply with alongside on YouTube the place I share free recipe tutorials! 💜
Turkey Pot Pie
This one pan turkey pot pie is made with seasonal candy potatoes, contemporary rosemary and a touch of smoked paprika. It is the right means to make use of up the final of your Thanksgiving turkey leftovers!
Servings: 6 servings
For the Turkey Pot Pie Filling
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
To arrange the crust, pulse collectively flour and salt in meals processor.
1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon desk salt
Sprinkle butter items over-top the flour combination and pulse till coarse crumbs start to kind.
6 Tablespoons (85 g) very chilly unsalted butter
Add bitter cream and pulse till dough simply begins to clump collectively.
¼ cup (57 g) bitter cream
Take away dough from meals processor and kind right into a clean disk. Wrap in plastic wrap or parchment and place in fridge whilst you put together the pot pie.
For the turkey pot pie filling
Soften butter in a deep, oven-safe 10″ skillet (or giant pot, see observe).
6 Tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter
As soon as melted, add onion and cook dinner, stirring regularly, till softened and translucent.
½ cup (79 g) diced onion
Add flour, rosemary, paprika, salt, and black pepper and whisk till clean. Prepare dinner one other 30 seconds longer, whereas stirring, to frivolously toast the flour.
6 Tablespoons (47 g) flour, 2 teaspoons chopped contemporary rosemary, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon desk salt, 1 teaspoon floor black pepper
Whereas stirring, step by step stir in rooster broth and heavy cream.
2 cups (473 ml) rooster broth, ½ cup (118 ml) heavy cream
Add candy potatoes, potatoes, and carrots. Prepare dinner, stirring regularly, and produce to a boil. Boil till potatoes and carrots are tender when pierced with a fork.
1 ½ cups (315 g) candy potatoes, 1 cup (215g) russet potatoes, ½ cup chopped carrots
Cut back warmth to low and add turkey, corn, and inexperienced beans and stir till well-combined.
3 cups (445 g) shredded turkey, 1 cup (140 g) frozen candy corn, 1 cup (110 g) frozen inexperienced beans
Take away from warmth and roll out pie dough to a good 12″ circle. Rigorously lay the crust excessive of the pot pie contents (it doesn’t should drape over the perimeters, somewhat push the crust up towards the within of the pan).
Minimize a number of slits within the crust and frivolously brush along with your crushed egg. Switch to heart rack of oven and bake within the oven on 400F for half-hour or till crust is golden brown. To attenuate any spilling, place a foil lined baking sheet beneath the skillet whereas baking. Take pleasure in!
1 giant egg
You might use any unbaked pie crust for this recipe, I choose to make use of my do-it-yourself model.
I prefer to prep all the pieces in a deep 10″ skillet then merely bake in that skillet. Nonetheless, alternatively you may put together the pot pie filling in any dish that’s giant sufficient then switch to a deep 10″ pie plate to cowl with the pie dough and bake within the oven. In case you’re anxious about your dish being deep sufficient, place it on a foil lined baking sheet earlier than placing it within the oven to catch any potential spills!
As soon as cooled, cowl leftovers (or switch to an hermetic container) and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 595kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 7g | Fats: 33g | Saturated Fats: 21g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 9g | Ldl cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 841mg | Potassium: 427mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 237IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 4mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.
This recipe was initially revealed November of 2015. I up to date the put up with new images and, whereas all the elements have stayed the identical, I’ve very barely altered the tactic to make the dish simpler (we cook dinner the potatoes and carrots proper within the broth as a substitute of individually — identical finish consequence, only a quicker course of).